18.12.10

"Bacon" and Pasta

I don't think that I have ever eaten so much Swiss Chard in my life.  It's quite odd, really, how much I have been eating recently.  Not that I'm conplaining in the least, because I really like chard.  I only wish it wasn't so expensive, but there you have it.  Both M and I agreed that this dish is rather tasty, and it was quite easy to make, even if I did underestimate the amount of cooking time, and we were waiting for ages for the chard to cook down.  Then I realised that the wok was not on the burner.  Things seemed to speed up remarkably when I put the wok back on the burner...
M and I have very different tastes when it comes to the amount of pasta to put in the dish, so I ended up with a lot less spaghetti than her, but I enjoyed it all the same (or maybe even more that her, because I ended up eating the majority of the dish. 



“Bacon” and Chickpea Pasta

Serves 6-8

Adapted from I Eat Food

12 oz. whole wheat spaghetti, cooked and kept warm
6 cloves garlic, pressed
½ lb “bacon”, cut into strips or squares
3 portobellos, diced
28 oz can diced tomatoes (preferably petite diced, but I used normal)
1 bunch Swiss chard, chiffonaded
1 generous cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and cooked
½ tsp chili sauce
1 tbsp vegetarian chicken bullion
Freshly ground salt and pepper to taste

Heat a large wok over medium heat. Sauté the garlic and mushroom in a bit of water for 5 minutes or so, until tender.
Add the tomatoes and their juices; cook for two minutes.
Add the remaining ingredient except pasta, and cook for 10 more minutes, until the chard has wilted.
Serve over pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment