29.12.10

A Multi-National Christmas Dinner


So, yesterday was Christmas.  It was really windy and cold.  And I went running outside, because I am fanatical like that, I like to make myselft miserable by running into wind that is worthy of a hurricane.  Not really, but that is what ended up happening.  It was rather interesting, to say the least.
For the afternoon enterainment, M and I went to the local Super H Mart, and I bought some really awesome pencils, because all of my old ones have broken.  Which is rather depressing, I think.  We also got some carrots (whoopee!!), broccolini, and fried tofu.  I know, me, buying fried tofu.  I figured it looked really good, and it's not really that bad for a person, especially if it's fried right.  I'm really excited about the broccolini, too, and can't wait to use it.  I've already got plans...
Before we went to the H Mart, I defuzzed my sweater too, which was tons of fun.  I've never used a sweater defuzzer before.  It makes a really neat sound.
And then there was dinner.  Oh, M and I were so tired for some reason, and we were both moving in slow motion that night.  But I still managed to pull off these spectacular... enchilada-taco things.  I actually meant for them to be enchiladas, but then saw that M and I only had four wraps, which was not enough.  So I just ended up cheating, and there you have it.  These actually turned out to be exactly what I needed, and they are really filling... and high fiber, in case anyone cares.  They're really good- one of the best dishes I have made recently without fake meat.

Black Bean and Veggie Taco-Enchiladas


Serves 6-8

Adapted from The Book of Yum

1 small red onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
I½ lb white button mushrooms
1 packet taco seasoning (I used Taco Bell’s – it was about 4 tbsp total), divided
2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1 sweet potato, peeled, cubed, and boiled until tender
1 cup dried black beans, soaked overnight and cooked until tender
1 cup tomato sauce
2 tsp. ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
½ tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp smoked paprika
Wraps
Cooked rice
Mozzarella cheese, grated

In a kettle, sauté the onion with a bit of water for 2 minutes, and then add the red bell pepper and mushrooms. Sauté for a couple minutes, and then add ½ the taco seasoning, about 2 tbsp, the cilantro, potato, and beans. Add about ¼ cup water, turn the heat to low, and cover. Keep warm on low heat until ready to use.
Meanwhile, mix the tomato sauce, cumin, salt and pepper, sugar, the rest of the taco seasoning, and paprika in a small bowl.
When you are ready to serve, heat the wraps, rice, and tomato sauce mixture in the microwave. Make the tacos: On the wraps, place a layer of the rice, then bean and veggie mix, then the tomato sauce, and finally top with shredded cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment