21.12.10

Italian "Ham" and Veggies with Green Olives


It's kind of sad, but I have no clue what I will be cooking for Christmas.  Which, I suppose, is not all that crazy because it will only be for M and I.  But still, I feel like I should be making something special.  Perhaps just winging it will be the best option, and whatever comes will come. 
Just as another little side note, yesterday I ate a bad potato.  Note to self: never eat a potato with a rotten center, because it will make you feel sick for the rest of the day.  And that was so not cool.  I came so close to just staying home for the whole day, because that's how close I came to being sick.
But, most thankfully, the food today was much better.  Dinner was a very elegant affair with this dish.  What's kind of funny though is that I had intended to bake this dish, but had totally forgotten about that.  So I ended up making it into a stir fry type thing, which is just as good.  I thought this was quite an excellent dish, and it certainly looked fancy enough.  I had mine over wild rice, and M had hers over whole wheat spaghetti.  Both were delish, we agreed.

“Ham” with Veggies and Green Olives


Adapted from Practical Pasta and Italian by Fiona Biggs
Serves 4-6

½ 100 gm log of “meat”, cut into 16 semi-circles
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, pressed
2 small red bell peppers, chopped
1 lb crimini mushrooms, sliced
14 oz diced tomatoes
¼ cup dry cooking sherry
½ cup green olives, cut into thirds
Salt and pepper
Chopped cilantro

Preheat the oven to 350. Bake the “meat” for 10 minutes, until heated through. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Heat a wok over medium high heat. Sauté the onion and garlic for a couple minutes, then add the bell pepper, and mushrooms. After a couple more minutes add the tomatoes and cilantro. Cook until tender.
Serve the rice/pasta first, then veggies, and finally the “meat”. Add the olives and salt and pepper to individual servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment