7.4.12

Simple Alfredo Chickpea Spaghetti

Look out world, my basil plant is grown!  Since M killed my old basil plant (looong story), I didn't have one for the longest time.  This spring we bought one, along with oregano, watercress, and arugala.  I used the first from the plant in this recipe...   Adapted from Book of Yum.



It's really easy.
Cook up some whole wheat spaghetti.
Grill red bell pepper on a panini press.
Saute 1/2 cup finely minced onion until browned in a pan coated with nonstick spray.  Add 1 tbsp flour and 1/2 cup soy milk.  Stir well, and let thicken.  Add in enough soy milk to make a sauce.  Add in 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas.
Chop fresh basil and parsley.
Serve: pasta, sauce, pepper, herbs, pine nuts.

This was not super WOW, but it really hit the spot for me tonight.  I think the addition of some extra seasonings, more bell pepper, and perhaps some sauteed mushrooms would have made this even better.  This is a great spring board for so many combinations...

No comments:

Post a Comment